Sprinkle #1 - 15 Flavors



Try all 31 flavors at a Baskin Robbins on one cone - James Lloyd, Pocatello ID




At first this idea seemed a little silly to me...clever, but silly. Even if I could actually convince some poor employee to humor me, could I really fit that many flavors onto one cone?

Gratefully the Chicago weather was behaving itself so it was the perfect day for ice cream. With a smirk and a shake of my head, I set out to attain perhaps the unattainable. My Baskin Robbins of choice was one that I pass every day on the way to work, the one that inspired this whole 31 craziness in the first place. I had never stepped foot inside, and truthfully until now my impression of the place consisted of booted cars and the suspicious loitering phenomenon on the corner.

I ignored the Dunkin Doughnuts division and headed directly to the freezer to check out the selection. To my surprise and confusion, this 31 Flavors DID NOT HAVE 31 FLAVORS!?! Instead there were about 20 flavors, which my nut allergy narrowed even more. Am I the only one surprised by this? Well, after picking up the pieces of my childhood naivete, I concluded that 15 flavors would have to do.

Now came the hardest part, actually getting one of the employees to play along. A shy and slightly English-challenged employee approached me. When I didn't just point at a flavor, he suggested I talk to his co-worker. I think he could tell that doughnut holes and Bismarks would be less complicated than dealing with me. A sweet elderly woman took his place, but within seconds of my prepared speech, had the same reaction. I was beginning to doubt my ability to pull this off, when "Eva" came to my rescue. In the most professional tone I could muster, I explained my mission. To my relief, Eva nodded in understanding. She started filling a large waffle cone with the flavors I selected, however she was adamant about using the full kiddie scoop and by "kiddie scoop" six, the cone was overflowing. My hope started to fade. Eva didn't seem to fully grasp the delicacy of the situation.

No, you don't understand, I'm a quirky thirty-one-year-old, doing a silly project and in order for it to be symbolic and super cool, I need ALL of the flavors on 1 cone!
I was in the middle of stating the above in a less crazy way, when her manager came up. My speech took on another layer of desperation. I heard myself say something about being a professional writer who needed this for a special project. I may or may not have said that it would be read by thousands... Maybe he actually believed me, or didn't really care, but after agreeing to pay whatever he felt like charging me, he nodded to Eva. Eva began again, this time scooping about a tablespoon of each of the following flavors:

  1. Gold Medal Ribbon
  2. World Class Chocolate
  3. Orange Sherbet
  4. Mint Chocolate Chip
  5. French Vanilla
  6. Chocolate Almond
  7. Vanilla
  8. Rocky Road
  9. Mango Tango
  10. Chocolate Chip
  11. World Class Chocolate
  12. Tropical Ice
  13. Chocolate
  14. Pistachio
  15. Cookie Dough
As Eva scooped the last mini scoop I couldn't help but giggle a bit. I was pretty amused by this point, and looking up I was touched to see that her smile mirrored my own.

After thanking Eva one last time, I juggled my two very full and melting cones out the door. I had completed my first mission! As silly as it may seem, I felt a deep sense of accomplishment and optimism about the months ahead.

$12.64 (About 84 cents per scoop) seemed a small price to pay for such satisfaction.

1 comments:

Anonymous September 22, 2009 at 5:47 PM  

Kelsey,

I am very excited for you on this exciting project. I can't wait to hear about all of your adventures and even looking forward to participating in a few myself. As my first act, I have just donated toward your Susan G. Komen Walk for the Cure project.

Joy C.

About this blog:

The Mission:
Try 31 new things before my 32nd birthday
The Deadline: June 11, 2010



32nd Birthday!

Share on Facebook