The List

Overall I received more than 120 suggestions from family and friends--ideas ranging from exploring the jungles of Africa to sending a message in a bottle. I am tickled and honored by the thoughtfulness that went into these ideas, and I wish that I had the time and the means to include all of them...well, almost all of them. :)

One conflict I had while forming this list was whether to include 6 very literal takes on the 31 theme like, "Try all 31 flavors on one cone." After a little debate I conceded that they were just too delicious to pass up, so I added the 6 to my already very flavorful assortment...as sort of the sprinkles on top.

For the 31, I tried to compile a list that would challenge me to experience life from a variety of angles. Eventually I settled on 27 ideas that varied from simple to complex, steap to cheap, silly to profound. I left 4 spots open for any stirring suggestions I get along the way.

So here they are, in no particular order. Though I must admit that some of the list has me a tad nervy, I am excited to embark on this journey of self-exploration!

The Flavors
  1. Go down to the lakeshore and write down all of your blessings - TiffanyFortna,Chicago IL
  2. Perform at an open mic night - Amy Dunlap, Chicago IL
  3. Susan G. Komen Walk for the Cure - Bob Burke, Sarasota FL
  4. Zip-lining - Me
  5. Learn to quilt - Teria Brooking, Ogden UT
  6. Go to a city meeting on a political issue - Amy Jensen, Suffolk County, NY
  7. Write a children's story or song - Linda Shearer, Idaho Falls ID
  8. Indulge yourself in a wildly extravagant meal - Philip Zinn, Western Colorado, CO
  9. Audition in New York - Dana Atkins, Pocatello ID
  10. Organize a service project for a pediatric ward - Linda Shearer, Idaho Falls ID
  11. Learn to play Golf - Bob McGuire, Oswego IL
  12. Build a piece of furniture with your dad - Dale Shearer, Idaho Falls ID
  13. Start one day at 4 am on purpose - Catherine Ramirez, Houston TX
  14. Visit Amish Country - Dave Coffman, Idaho Falls ID
  15. Learn a skill at the Actor's Gym - Blair Robertson, Chicago IL
  16. Take a helicopter ride - Jon Moran - Elmhurst IL
  17. Crochet an afghan - Deanna Rasmussen, Ogden UT
  18. Read a book that pertains to our family - Linda Shearer, Idaho Falls ID
  19. Learn to play the Ukalele - Me
  20. Take a pole-dancing class - Jason and Elizabeth Hopkins - Chicago IL
  21. Collaborate with me on a song - Lindsey Lloyd, Pocatello ID
  22. Learn German and visit Germany - Me
  23. Take an art class - Linda Shearer, Idaho Falls ID
  24. Fly a kite as an adult - Janie Wallace, NYC
  25. Visit a prison - Neal Schmidt, Chicago IL
  26. Go through the Temple with your family - Brett Shearer, Inland Empire CA
  27. Use only one hand for an entire day - Joy Crenshaw, Chicago IL
  28. Start a blog - Me
  29. Attend the Oprah Show - Kristine


The Sprinkles
  1. Try 31 Flavors on 1 cone - James Lloyd, Pocatello ID
  2. Pay it back 31 times but keep it your secret - Tracy Callahan, Ogden UT
  3. Laugh 31 times in a day and record it - Linda Shearer, Idaho Falls ID
  4. On December 31, give 31 dollar bills to 31 individuals less fortunate than you - Jan Hillman, Sacramento CA
  5. Write a letter to your offspring to read when they are 31 - Lisa Niedermeyer, NYC
  6. Write 31 influential people and thank them - Jan Hillman, Sacramento CA

1 comments:

Anonymous October 6, 2009 at 8:03 AM  

Hi Kelsey,

Flavor #19 - I visited my brother's family last weekend in Michigan. They showed me some of their favorite You Tube clips; one of them was this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3gp7B8WC4Q

This group has a number of other songs, just type in "ukulele" in the search field.

Also, another clip shows you how to play:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78nr8QMaUbI

Looking forward to your first performance!

Jon

About this blog:

The Mission:
Try 31 new things before my 32nd birthday
The Deadline: June 11, 2010



32nd Birthday!

Share on Facebook