31 Flavors


I awoke to thunder. Snuggling deeper under the covers, I acknowledged with a stretch how rested I felt. It didn't take me long to realize that I felt that way because I had set my alarm for 7 p.m. instead of a.m, and had only 6 minutes to get ready. I flew out of bed, took a shortened version of a spit bath, and threw on some clothes. Out of the corner of my eye, I caught my reflection. My outfit was clean but very crumpled, and my hair...well, I had moussed it the day before and it was pretty much unsalvageable. So far 31 was not looking very pretty. With a sigh of resignation I reached for my umbrella, only to realize that I had left it at work the day before. Happy birthday to me.
Feeling ugly and awkward I stepped out into the classic Chicago drizzle. As I turned the corner I caught a glimpse of familiar white at the stoplight. Brilliant! If I caught the bus maybe I could avoid getting completely soaked! I broke out in a sprint, arriving at the corner just as the light turned green. Desperately, I waved at the driver and to my relief, he looked straight at me. Encouraged, I timidly stepped out into the street, only to have him roar through the intersection. In fury I stamped my feet like a toddler, and blurted out a very adult phrase. Great, my first word as a thirty-one-year-old was a swear word.
Near tears, I sloshed towards the train. In my mind I began plotting how I would punish the universe for making this the worst birthday ever. Of course, in actuality that meant I would punish everyone around me and especially myself by refusing to find any joy in the rest of the day. I felt my my tantrum transfer from my feet to my entire being, and I gave in willingly. I knew I was being ridiculous, but I didn't care. My regrets, doubts, and anxieties about this birthday rained on me with full force.
Just as self-pity was about to consume me, my delicate inner voice spoke up. It candidly pointed out that realistically, nothing truly tragic had happened to me this morning. All of these supposed catastrophes were figments of my silly, poisoned, perspective. Then, this voice lovingly reminded me that it was I who actually controlled my perspective. I stopped in the middle of the sidewalk, and shook my soggy head. Yes, this would be the worst birthday ever if I didn't grow up and find some humor in this situation.
At that moment, I glanced across the street at a Baskin Robbins
...and smiled.

I would try 31 new things before I turned 32. 31 new flavors for each year of my life.
And then a crazy thing happened. My mind, flooded with negativity only seconds before, began churning with all sorts of possibilities. This year could really be something. This year I could stretch my boundaries and truly grow!
...Now, I cautioned myself, to ensure this year be as newfangled and fabulous as I imagined, a few things were crucial:
1. There needed to be a list. Something on paper that I could commit to.
2. To truly step outside of myself, most of the ideas needed to come from family and friends-perspectives other than my own.
With a grin, I unwound the bun on my head and let the rain tangle in my hair. I felt renewed in some way. I was filled with gratitude...as well as a slight craving for mint chip ice cream.
Suddenly 31 was looking pretty sweet.

2 comments:

Anonymous October 15, 2009 at 3:12 PM  

You are a very great and fascinating writer. I'm so glad you havea blog about your 31 experiences!

Angelica

Anonymous September 28, 2010 at 4:33 AM  

ha, I will test my thought, your post give me some good ideas, it's truly amazing, thanks.

- Norman

About this blog:

The Mission:
Try 31 new things before my 32nd birthday
The Deadline: June 11, 2010



32nd Birthday!

Share on Facebook